- HOME AUTOMATION
- YOUNG MAKERS (< 18)
- OPEN SOURCE
- 3D PRINTING
- NEW MANUFACTURING
- ENERGY & SUSTAINABILITY
- INTERNET OF THINGS
- MUSIC & SOUND
- RECYCLING & UPCYCLING
- KIDS & EDUCATION
- ARTISANS & NEW CRAFT
- CULTURAL HERITAGE
- WELLNESS & HEALTHCARE
- FASHION & WEARABLES
- FOOD & AGRICULTURE
- 3D SCANNING
- STEAM PUNK
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
BIOS is made up of three or four water pipeline systems placed around the main central tube where the water is pumped by a water pump located at the bottom of the structure.
A solar panel provides the energy to power the air and water circulation systems and the lighting system. All environmental parameters are monitored and managed by Arduino sensors and software in the following steps:
1. Water circulation system
2. Air circulation system
3. Temperature stabilization system
4. Artificial lighting system (in case of a shortage of sunlight)
5. Solar energy system by means of a solar panel (in the case of adequate exposure to sunlight)
6. Curtain open-close system (in the case of excessive sun exposure)
7. Data collection system to be displayed on a home automation screen
8. Mobile alert system notifying when the crop has reached the end of its life cycle and is ready for harvesting.
Nutrients and fertilizers (N, P2O5, K2O, CaO, MgO) for the crops are provided by organic compost made by recycling food waste at home. The compost is then dissolved in the water pipeline system.
Each citizen can make his own compost from about 7-10 kg of waste and it will be enough for an entire growing season. The use of a hydroponic organic growth system is most advantageous in situations where the water supply and nutrient composition need to be well controlled.